You might be a vegan or plant-based marketing manager or business owner looking to hire a freelance content writer or copywriter, but you’re not sure how to find the best person for your specific marketing campaign. How do you decide who is the right writer for your business?
What is Voice and Why is it Vital?
We know voice matters, and all good writers have honed in on their specific voices. The writer’s voice can be defined as the unique way a writer writes: the sentence structure, the mixture of vocabulary, tone, point of view, paragraph flow, and much more.
For marketing purposes, the brand voice is defined as the personality and emotion infused into a company’s communications. Infusing your company’s personality and emotion is the freelance copywriter’s job. It is what they do, and they need to know how to do this properly so the copy they write for you will entice, convince, sell, and make you money.
In the case of the content writer, she needs to know how to inspire, inform, and build trust with your customer base. Both types of writers need to know how to properly identify and write in your brand voice.
The best writers can crank out pages and pages of content specifically for their clients’ customers. They understand how to create a connection with your specific type of customer, and they are knowledgeable in your industry. Any old writer will not do if your marketing goal is to build trust with your audience, form a relationship, sell your products or services, create repeat customers, and inspire a more sustainable or vegan world.
The best copywriters or content writers do the following before they write a word for you:
- Research your company and your competition
- Study your brand, style, voice, audience, and campaigns
- Review your websites, blogs, articles, case studies, videos, or other media
- Review competitor websites, blogs, articles, white papers, audios, podcasts, etc.
- Get to know the persona of your customer: his likes, dislikes, needs, wants, fears, etc.
- Do an internet search of related posts or material within the last year
- Research the best keywords or key phrases to use
So, as you can see, there is a lot involved in writing a marketing piece, whether writing a blog post, a sales letter, an e-newsletter, an opt-in guide, or a white paper. Hiring a writer who does not bother with the above could be a costly mistake.
To drive the point home, below are three different first paragraphs for a blog post for vegan clothing company A. Each of these paragraphs appeal to different types of potential vegan customers. The blog is about different clothing options offered at company A.
- The casual, hip voice appealing to Gen Z women: “You know compassion is a thing. And ethical fashion is growing by epic bounds! Did you know Gen Z is the generation buying the most vegan, eco-friendly clothes? Fewer animals are suffering and vegan clothes are made without leather, suede, silk, fur, feathers, angora, or down. Compassion is the thing of the future, and you can be part of it. Let’s check out cruelty-free hoodies and sweatpants.”
- The professional but casual voice appealing to millennial women: “Vegan clothing companies have been growing by leaps and bounds, and in 2021, the ethical fashion industry is not slowing down. The trend is on the rise to reach 1095.6 billion by 2027! With that type of amazing growth, now might be the time to add a vegan coat or pantsuit to your compassionate closet. Let’s explore ethical clothing options.”
- The formal, sophisticated voice appealing to college-educated men and women: “To say that the vegan fashion is a market on the rise is an understatement. It is estimated to reach a whopping 1095.6 billion by 2027. With that unprecedented growth prediction for compassionate brands and with a desire for a sustainable world, now is the time to invest in a wardrobe upgrade. Let’s explore.”
The freelance content writer or copywriter’s ability to write in your brand voice is vital to the success of your business.
The key to finding the best vegan or plant-based copywriter is to find one who can write in your brand voice. If you do this, you will be on your way to meeting your sales goals and inspiring a more compassionate, sustainable, vegan world.
Looking for a writer who can write in different voices? Let’s chat.